Menéndez-Pelayo International University
Aug 31th – Sep 4th 2020
- Ginés Carrascal de las Heras (IBM)
- Pol Forn Díaz (IFAE)
- Jens Eisert (Freie Universität Berlin)
- Juan José García-Ripoll (IFF-CSIC)
- Diego Porras (IFF-CSIC)
- Román Orús (Ikerbasque, DIPC)
- Juan Sánchez Torual
- Maria Schuld (University of Kwazulu-Nataln)
- Germán Sierra (IFT-CSIC)
- Ivano Tavernelli (IBM Research – Zurich)
- Stefan Woerner (IBM Research – Zurich)
- Diego Porras (IFF-CSIC)
- Juan José García Ripoll (IFF-CSIC)
This online summer school is a five-day practical introduction to quantum computing. Online lectures will cover topics such as quantum programming (QISKIT), variational quantum computing and machine learning, and applications in chemistry, physics and finance. Lectures will also provide a vision of the future of the field in terms of hardware development.
Students will be offered a selection of practical problems that can be addressed with quantum computers. They will work in teams to develop a piece of quantum software to solve the proposed tasks. The summer school has two practical 2-hour sessions, during which the school organizers will supervise the work by the students. Finally, each student team will present their work at the end of the school. Even though this is a short course, it will provide students with the necessary resources to start working and getting prepared for quantum computing.
For additional questions on the summer school, please, contact us at
Registration is now open (until 21st August 2020)
- Go to: http://www.uimp.es/agenda-link.html?id_actividad=64ST&anyaca=2020-21
- Click on “Solictud On Line” (link on the right, above the program)
- Follow instructions to create an account in the registration system
- You will receive and email with a link to keep on with the registration process:
- Firstly, fill up a form with your information and click on “Save data” and then on “Keep on enrolling” .
- In the next screen, please, click on “PULSA AQUI PARA COMENZAR LA AUTOMATRICULA”
- Please follow instructions (they are in Spanish, but it’s not hard to follow).
- If you find any problem with the online registration system, please contact the university administration at <firstname.lastname@example.org> or the organizers (email@example.com).
- The school fees are 120 Euros + 20 Euros administration fees, which can be paid by debit card. If you are thinking of applying to an exemption (see below) you can leave the application without paying the fees until you are notified about whether the exemption is granted.
- Students can apply for an exemption of the fee, based on academic performance. Conditions for this exemption are yet not published, but they will by the end of July at: http://www.uimp.es/actividades-academicas/secretaria-de-alumnos/becas/becas-santander.html
- There is no limitation in student numbers. The deadline for applying is 21st August 2020.
This online summer school is ideally suited for final year students, PhD students in this or related research fields, or professionals interested in learning quantum computing.
The summer school requires to have attended at least an elementary course in quantum mechanics, as well as basic knowledge of python. Interested students with a different scientific degree than Physics, e.g. in Chemistry, Mathematics or Engineering, are also encouraged to apply, however they are recommended to review or self-study basic principles and ideas in quantum mechanics, if this was not part of their degree.